Our Voice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum in which the youth and young adults of Canada can truly express their ideas for the benefit and growth of the Presbyterian Church in Canada

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

They should be!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
britmw226

britmw226

They should be! Empty
PostSubject: They should be!   They should be! EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm

so presbyterians are one of the most in my oppinion accepting religous groups so im very surprised that this is still something we look down on. if it was up to me someones orentation should have no influance on their career, because thats still discrimination and definately not the presbyterian way! just my oppinion though! thanks (:
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/britMW226
schnecd

They should be! Empty
PostSubject: Re: They should be!   They should be! EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 12:23 pm

It's a very tricky topic for many people to discuss. As a society in general, we are becoming much more accepting of all lifestyles, religions, backgrounds and genders. To a lot of us, most especially younger Canadians, it isn't hard to love all our friends and neighbours, and we're raised to not discriminate.

However, on the other hand, the Bible is the source of everything for most Christians. The Bible can, of course, be interpreted in different ways, and this is where we get disagreements on the Biblical standpoint on homosexuality. And to even get to the point of talking about homosexual ordination, the Church needs to come to an opinion about accepting (or not) homosexuality in general.

It's quite frustrating in my opinion that it seems like many people refuse to talk about it and just kind of put the issue to the side for "later." It seems to me like the fates of those homosexual individuals who want to serve God as an ordained minister of the Presbyterian Church are kept on the backburner and no decision is being made, which I find unfair. I think that we should discuss this every single opportunity we can get, educate each other, become aware of other viewpoints, and then we will be ready sooner to make an informed decision that suits our beliefs of the situation. Just my opinion, too Smile
Back to top Go down
ashjo

They should be! Empty
PostSubject: Progress   They should be! EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Great discussion guys but don't forget the church is willing to change ordination for same sex ministers was passed at the PCUSA last month. Maybe soon Canada can follow suit. I love you
Back to top Go down
jvd897

jvd897

They should be! Empty
PostSubject: Some questions   They should be! EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Agreed all around -- to me, the current situation stinks of "Don't ask, don't tell" -- but this part raises some questions for me:

schnecd wrote:
And to even get to the point of talking about homosexual ordination, the Church needs to come to an opinion about accepting (or not) homosexuality in general.

If we do consider homosexuality a sin (I'm not saying that it is or isn't), are we saying that sinners shouldn't be allowed to become ministers? It seems to me that this would rule out, well, everyone. And what about the Reformed principle of "the priesthood of all believers"?

On the other hand, maybe the Church does need to accept homosexuality first -- how many homosexuals would want to be part of an organization that condemns homosexuality and forbids same-sex marriage? Although I guess if we're discussing this issue, there must have been some already.
Back to top Go down
http://jvd897.blogspot.com
rev.doug68

rev.doug68

They should be! Empty
PostSubject: Great to see the discussion   They should be! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 pm

As a minister I have had two of my parishioners come to me sensing God calling them to ministry. In both cases they have ended up having to go to the United Church because we as a church are not ready to see that sexual orientation (I believe) is a part of who we are, not a choice we make. Both of these people will make loving, caring, intelligent ministers... but not for their own chosen denomination. On the up side there are denominations who will accept them. Lets keep the discussion going!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

They should be! Empty
PostSubject: Re: They should be!   They should be! Empty

Back to top Go down

They should be!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Voice :: Hot Topic Issues :: The Ordination of Homosexual Ministers-
Jump to: